The World Day of Prayer is a worldwide movement of Christian women of many traditions who come together to observe a common day of prayer each year, and who, in many countries, have a continuing relationship in prayer and service.
- It is a movement initiated and carried out by women in more than 170 countries and regions.
- It is a movement symbolized by an annual day of celebration – the first Friday of March – to which all people are welcome.
- It is a movement which brings together women of various races, cultures and traditions in closer fellowship, understanding and action throughout the year.
Through World Day of Prayer, women around the world:
- affirm their faith in Jesus Christ;
- share their hopes and fears, their joys and sorrows, their opportunities and needs.
Through World Day of Prayer, women are encouraged:
- to become aware of the whole world and no longer live in isolation;
- to be enriched by the faith experience of Christians of other countries and cultures;
- to take up the burdens of other people and pray with and for them;
- to become aware of their talents and use them in the service of society.
Through World Day of Prayer, women affirm that prayer and action are inseparable and that both have immeasurable influence in the world. The motto of the World Day of Prayer is “Informed Prayer and Prayerful Action”.
The International Committee
Each meeting brings special contributions to the growth of the movement when women gather:
- to share experiences of World Day of Prayer
- to select themes and writers for the worship service
- to elect an Executive Committee that is ecumenical with representatives from Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant traditions and comprised of a Chairperson, Treasurer and Representatives from Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Europe, Latin America, Middle East, North America and the Pacific
- to arrange for staff services and to prepare a budget based on contributions from National/Regional Committees and special gifts
- to consider ways by which the movement may grow.
WDPIC Executive Committee Members 2012-2017
Chairperson: Corinna Harbig (Germany)
Treasurer: Marcia Florkey (U.S.)
Africa: Joyce Larko Steiner (Ghana)
Africa: Henriette Mbatchou (Cameroon)
Asia: Vinodini Schubert (Sri Lanka)
Asia: Rev. Dr. Sirirat Pusurinkham (Thailand)
Caribbean and North America: Marilyn Fortin (Canada)
Caribbean and North America: Alison O. Carter (Barbados)
Europe: Laurence Gangloff (France)
Europe: Emmanuelle Bauer (Luxembourg)
Latin America: Esther Susana Menke Renner (Brazil)
Latin America: Rebeca Cascante (Costa Rica)
Middle East: Carmela Basta (Egypt)
Middle East: Nora Cami (Palestine)
Pacific: Sala Naveata (Fiji)
Pacific: Katea Lutui (Tonga)
|2018||Environmental Concerns||All God’s creation is Very Good||Suriname|
|2019||Strengthening Communities||Come everything is Ready||Slovenia|
|2020||Peace & Reconciliation||Rise, Take your mat and Walk||Zimbabwe|
|2021||Live Wisely||Build on a Strong Foundation||Vanuatu|