The World Day of Prayer is a worldwide movement of Christian women of many traditions who come together to observe a common day of prayer each year, and who, in many countries, have a continuing relationship in prayer and service.
- It is a movement initiated and carried out by women in more than 170 countries and regions.
- It is a movement symbolized by an annual day of celebration – the first Friday of March – to which all people are welcome.
- It is a movement which brings together women of various races, cultures and traditions in closer fellowship, understanding and action throughout the year.
Through World Day of Prayer, women around the world:
- affirm their faith in Jesus Christ;
- share their hopes and fears, their joys and sorrows, their opportunities and needs.
Through World Day of Prayer, women are encouraged:
- to become aware of the whole world and no longer live in isolation;
- to be enriched by the faith experience of Christians of other countries and cultures;
- to take up the burdens of other people and pray with and for them;
- to become aware of their talents and use them in the service of society.
Through World Day of Prayer, women affirm that prayer and action are inseparable and that both have immeasurable influence in the world. The motto of the World Day of Prayer is “Informed Prayer and Prayerful Action”.
The International Committee
Each meeting brings special contributions to the growth of the movement when women gather:
- to share experiences of World Day of Prayer
- to select themes and writers for the worship service
- to elect an Executive Committee that is ecumenical with representatives from Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant traditions and comprised of a Chairperson, Treasurer and Representatives from Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Europe, Latin America, Middle East, North America and the Pacific
- to arrange for staff services and to prepare a budget based on contributions from National/Regional Committees and special gifts
- to consider ways by which the movement may grow.
WDPIC Executive Committee Members 2012-2017
Chairperson: Laurence Gangloff – France
Executive Director: Rosângela Oliveira, New York, NY USA
Treasurer: Susan Jackson-Dowd
Africa: Henriette Mbatchou & Joyce Larko Steiner
Asia: Moumita Biswas & Vino Schubert
Caribbean / North America: Ruth V.E. Phillips & Lauren Wilks
Europe: Emmanuelle Bauer & Senka Sestak Peterlin
Latin America: Rebeca Cascante & Esther Susana Renner
Middle East: Maral Barzkian Haidostian & Nora Carmi
Pacific: Vicki Marney & Henrica Nio Marona
|2019||Strengthening Communities||Come everything is Ready||Slovenia|
|2020||Peace & Reconciliation||Rise, Take your mat and Walk||Zimbabwe|
|2021||Live Wisely||Build on a Strong Foundation||Vanuatu|
|2022||I Know The Plans I have For You||England/Wales/Northern Ireland|
|2023||I Have Heard About Your Faith||Vanuatu|
|2024||I Beg You ….. Bear With One Another in Love||Palestine|
|2025||I Made You Wonderful||Cook Islands|
|2026||I Will Gove You Rest: Come||Nigeria|